|Previous||The Demolished Woman
The City and the Stars
|Next||Signal Point in Space
|Location||Sophia Akande - Byzantium|
2000 Bit Cartridges
The Board Reputation Up
Stellar Bay Nav Key
Long Distance is one of the Main Quests in The Outer Worlds. Main Quests are those that must be completed in order to advance the main story and progress the game.
- See Walkthrough and Game Progress Route for main quest game progression.
Adjutant Sophia Akande has asked you to help her track down Phineas Welles. Head to Welles' lab and send the Board the tracking signal from his terminal.
Long Distance Objectives
- Send the Tracking Signal
Find Welles' communication terminal and send a tracking signal to Sophia Akande.
Phineas mentioned you could send a corrupted tracking signal to buy him some time
- Return to ADA
Sophia said she'd contact you as soon as her office picks up Welles' location. Head back to your ship and see if Sophia has a message for you.
Long Distance Walkthrough
- This quest is obtained by speaking with Sophia Akande on Byzantium after completing the quest The Demolished Woman.
- This quest is also available after stealing the chemicals Phineas wants from Byzantium for the quest The City and the Stars.
Head to Phineas' Laboratory and plant the tracking signal by using the terminal to gain 27,000 XP. Then speak with Ada aboard the Unreliable and you will be contacted by Sophia. She'll reward you with 27,000 more XP and you'll lose Negative Reputation with The Board. She'll then ask you to speak with her on Byzantium by using Adjutant Akande's Landing Pad. Go in and Guard Esparza will let you through. If you speak with her there you will gain a further 27,000 XP.
- During your conversation, depending on what you have done before arriving here (if you got this quest after The City and the Stars), you will learn the Emerald Vale plague is a result of malnutrition, and that the Roseway research for "Diet Toothpaste" was for this purpose as well. She will then ask you to wipe out Edgewater. Refusing to do so and telling her to go to hell botches the quest and makes everyone within the building aggressive.
- You'll get the Foundation quest at this point from her.
Sophia will then give you the quest Signal Point in Space and tell you to speak with Percival for your reward and Nav Key. This will net you 100,000 XP, 2000 Bit Cartridges and a lot of Reputation with The Board
If you speak with Phineas and let him know about the tracking signal, he'll ask you to plant a corrupt signal to buy him some time. If you do this on the terminal you will gain 27,000 XP. Sophia will also not be aware that you corrupted the signal, and you'll gain another 27,000 XP. Speak with her once more on Byzantium to gain the same quest and receive the same XP.
Long Distance Rewards
Unlocks quest: Signal Point in Space or Foundation
Other Rewards: 72000xp, 2000 Bit Cartridge, The Board Reputation Up, Stellar Bay Navkey (if you don't have it)
So I sent the corrupted signal and I wanted to know if speaking to her would mess things up if I’m try to help Phineas
If you say no to killing everyone in edgewater. Everyone in the office will try to kill you. Which will affect later in the game.
You can also tell Doctor Welles about the signal, and he wnts you to send a corrupted signal instead, that way you decrease your negative reputation with the board, and then akande asks to talk to you in person. This unlocks akande's landing pad in Terra 2
I tried not sending a tracking signal at all... it was useless, you just miss out on the experience points...