Difficulty Modes in The Outer Worlds affect a playthrough's challenge, this page covers a list of difficulty settings that players can choose and information on the changes applied to the selected difficulty.
Difficulty Modes in The Outer Worlds
Use this mode if you enjoy the story more than combat. In story mode, enemies have less health and do less damage
This is the recommended mode for your first play session. In normal mode, enemies have standard health and damage.
This mode is for players who are looking for an extra challenge. In hard mode, enemies have more health and do more damage.
Supernova mode is the hardest difficulty and can only be selected at the start of the game, and is recommended for advanced players.
Supernova Mode in The Outer Worlds
Supernova mode adds additional challenges to the game:
- If you reduce the difficulty below supernova, you cannot reenable
- Enemies have more health and deal more damage
- You must eat, drink and sleep to survive
- Companions can die permanently
- Crippled body and limb conditions can only be healed with bed rest
- Weapons and armor work very poorly at 0 durability
- You can only fast travel to your ship
- You can only sleep at your ship
- You can only manually save while inside your ship and autosaves are limited.