The Outer Worlds Companions are similar to those of the Fallout franchise. Players can have two Companions at once, and they have their own Perks and alignments. Whereas players can recruit party members to crew their Starship – Companions come with you and interject in their adventures with their own views, objectives and missions. There are apparently six companions, and we know of two companions already: Parvati, Ellie and Felix.
- Romance is not an option for companions, as developers felt it could limit player choice
- Companions may be customized and players can pick Perks for them on level up screen
- Players can bring two companions at a time, and inventory is shared among all while out in the field.
- Companions have their own Perks and three Skills and special Abilities.
- Companions level up at the same rate as the player character.
- Companions have their own missions, quests and objectives and will ask for help to fulfill them.
- Companions have an approval rating and will leave the field if they are against your actions. They will not abandon your party unless you make that choice.
- All of the companions can be recruited, but some have allegiances to specific Factions and are thus less likely to join you in the field if you are doing something against their interests.