Vicar Max in The Outer Worlds is a Companion that can follow you around on your journey with Quests and objectives of their own. They also have their own Abilities and Skills, Perks, and Alignment. Decisions you make when they are with you may cause them to leave if they disapprove of it, or make comments positively or negatively depending on what you do.
Vicar Max in The Outer Worlds
After recruitment, Vicar Max can be found in his room on the 2nd floor of the Unreliable ship. Talk to him to find out about his life and motivations. He describes himself as a "Run of the mill vicar with a violently enthusiastic disposition".
He left his laborer parents and became a Vicar against their advice, and believes the "Plan" is an unbreakable elastic band, that stretches so far before snapping back and triggering a violent correction. He says the quest to understand this equation has consumed his life. He will reveal that Bakonu's legacy religion, Philosophism is the counter to Scientism, as they believe everything is chaos instead of a plan.
Ask him about a translator and he will propose someone in the Groundbreaker, unlocking the quest: "The Empty Man"
How to Recruit Vicar Max
Vicar Max can be recruited into your party by talking to him at Edgewater in the Emerald Vale. This is suggested to you by Parvati during the quest Comes Now the Power. The vicar is interested in retrieving a forbidden book from a collector's home. Accept his request and begin The Illustrated Manual to begin his recruitment quest.
After you complete The Illustrated Manual, talk to Vicar Max at the mission in Edgewater and he will ask to join your party. Accept and he will be joining your ship once you have made a decision for Comes Now the Power and obtained the Power Regulator for Stranger in a Strange Land.
Vicar Max Perks and Ability
- Max's Ability: Trickshot (Max examines and evaluates his target and spiritually enlightens them with a blast from his shotgun.)
- Vicar Max's Unique Perks
- Bonus Support Hack: +10 Hack
- Sermon: +20% Dialog Combat Effect Duration
- Mad Max: +20% Science Weapon Damage
- Tuned In: Drug Effect Duration +50%. (Finish the companion quest to unlock this perk.)
- Grand Justice (Only available with Peril on Gorgon DLC): Trickshot ignores 50% Armor Rating
- Planned Intervention (Only available with Peril on Gorgon DLC): Max will taunt enemies within +20m when you drop below 25% Health
Companions in The Outer Worlds add one quarter of their adjusted Skill values to yours (rounded down). Additionally, if you have 60 Skill Point into Inspiration this number will be doubled to half their adjusted skill value. If you bring two companions that share the same Skills you will gain boosts from both of them, allowing you to get some Skills very very high.
|Name||Max Level Skill Value 1||Max Level Skill Value 2||Max Level Skill Value 3|
|Parvati||Persuade 74||Lockpick 84||Engineering 88|
|Felix||Persuade 81||Lockpick 80||Sneak 77|
|Vicar Max||Intimidate 77||Hack 81||Science 81|
|SAM||Intimidate 89||Hack 80||Science 80|
|Nyoka||Lie 74||Medical 77||Sneak 86|
|Ellie||Lie 74||Medical 84||Engineering 77|
Vicar Max Related Quests
Vicar Max Endings
Good Ending - Skip the Hope to Terra-2 and complete Max's questline
As much as he enjoyed his adventures aboard the Unreliable, the Vicar known as Max eventually decided that it was to move on, to live out the life he had sought so long to create.
He knew there were many in the colony who carried burdens much worse than the ones he had struggled with, and he devoted himself to easing their suffering wherever he could. He only ever took up arms again to defend the defenseless.
Unshackled from a lifetime of striving and fighting the universe and himself, Vicar Maximillian DeSoto was finally at peace.
Bad Ending - Skip the Hope to Tartarus and fail Max's questline
As a reward for his part in her courageous rescue, the Adjutant invited the Vicar known as Max to become one of the leaders of the Order of Scientific Inquiry.
Max eventually rose to the top, becoming the Presiding Bishop of the 051. He denounced his spiritual meanderings as a misguided attempt to come to terms with his long-dead parents. His only regret was that they had not lived long enough to see that he was right all along.
Vicar Max Notes & Trivia
- English voiced by: Dave B. Mitchell
- In NoClip's documentary episode "Writing the Characters & Companions of The Outer Worlds", Senior Narrative Designer Megan Starks noted that she when she was originally writing Vicar Max, she imagined his voice as that of a "gruff, Southern traveling priest" and that Dave Mitchel's performance surprised her, but that she ultimately felt that it was a better fit for the character.